To alleviate human suffering by supporting grassroots heroes who educate, feed and nurture at-risk children and orphans in their own communities and equip vulnerable women to become financially independent.
What We Do
Grassroots Heroes International acts as a conduit that links donors with grassroots relief and development projects in the Third World.
Responding to the UN's moral imperative to feed, educate and nurture the world's most vulnerable children we support local African partner organizations to:
- Educate AIDS orphans and vulnerable children, giving them hope and a brighter future
- Provide nutritious meals for school children to reduce malnutrition
- Provide clean drinking water to reduce disease
- Equip at risk women to become financially stable through job skills training and small business opportunities, enabling them to eventually sustain their families, the schools and the feeding programs
Our Core Values
- Value for money
- Social justice
- Honesty and transparency
- Partnership with others
The conveyance of funds from donors to beneficiaries is regulated by the following policies:
- Funding will be granted to partner organizations vetted by the trustees and shown to be responsive to the needs of the constituents they serve. Partners will be able to receive, spend and account for funding per normal acceptable accounting standards and have the ability to meet all other GHI requirements as specified below.
- Funding will be allocated to approved partner organizations on the basis of project proposals that have been reviewed and approved by the trustees.
- GHI requires ongoing monitoring and regular progress reports from its partners on all funded activities. Activities and the use of funding will be verified by oversight and auditing visits by one or more trustees to program locations on an annual basis.
- GHI produces an annual report containing a financial statement.
- GHI uses systems that can trace the path of donations given in the First World, to the beneficiary children or families in the Third World.
- GHI relies on volunteer staff from the business and professional community in order to ensure that funds donated are spent directly on the programs for orphans, at-risk children and their families.
- GHI is committed to a long term relationship with its partners, encouraging them to reach the goals of local economic independence and subsequent sustainability of projects